Sunday, November 13, 2011

happy roasting


  With late fall and winter upon us it's nice to crank up the stove and let the kitchen get toasty. This is also the best time of year for root vegetables.Now I have to admit that this is going to be my winter to get creative. I'm going to get wild for root veggies. We have all heard by now that eating seasonally is better for the body and for the environment. But roasting vegetables has some great health benefits. Mayo Clinic lists roasting as one of the preferred ways to preserve nutrients-without losing flavour or adding a ton of fat.

 So I love this Mediterranean linguine from Earl's .I have tried alot of ways to attempt making theirs.It has never worked.Then I had a light bulb moment.Why not try roasting the ingredients.It would give them the sweetness I wanted. So I added chickpeas for the protein and I was really happy with the results.

  I used the smaller tomatoes(8) I had on hand I just cut them in half but, grape tomatoes would work whole.
  I red pepper cut in strips
  4 garlic cloves sliced
  Half a can of rinsed chickpeas
  Kalmata olives I did about 10
  salt and pepper
   2 tbsp of olive oil
   2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar

Preheat  the oven to 400.Toss everything together.I put mine in a brownie pan, I liked mine a bit saucy.Like me!! Put it in the oven for 1 hour.It is so yummy.I served mine over whole wheat spaghetti.I just made sure the portion was appropriate. Happy eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment